Brantford's Black History
In the first half of the 1800's, East Ward became home to many freedom seeking individuals and families. As communities were often centred around the church, the now British Methodist Episcopal Church (B.M.E or Drake Memorial) located on Murray St. was the hub for these families to share, learn and grow.
Freedom was not yet achieved, however, as some white residents of Brantford forced fifteen Black families out of town, complaining about their "disorderly conduct". In 1846, these families were sent to the Queen's Bush (Huron County area), an early example of forced segregation and ghettoization.
Though they were now technically free, they would still face discrimination and prejudice by their white neighbours.
Ask yourself about the impact of these prejudices that remain today.