Brantford's Black History
The Story of Joseph Brant
Some early Black History in Brantford dates back to 1784, when Joseph Brant brought 30 to 40 enslaved people to the area to work in his fields, as well as at his home in Upper New York State. Many were also brought to Six Nations land, Mohawk Village (East Brantford) and Burlington.
Brant later permitted some freedom-seekers to settle on Six Nations land, and gave some of his land in West Brant to Sarah Pooley and Prince Van Patter, two of his enslaved confidants. Brant’s son, Capt. John Brant, encouraged former slaves to settle on his own property.
Brant also gave 200 acres of land on Bishopsgate Road near Falkland to relative Elizabeth (daughter of Sarah Hill, Mohawk, Wolf Clan) and her husband John Morey (previously enslaved). Together the couple raised their family in a one storey log house on the property on the east side of Bishopsgate Road. John and Elizabeth Morey are buried on their property that later became Tew Farm.
Their daughter Catherine Morey married John H. Henderson (also previously enslaved, in Maryland), and their son Cyrus H. Henderson lived on their family farm on Henderson Road in Brantford. Henderson Road was named by Brant's County Council to honour the Henderson Family.